Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Creative Card Crew DT Project - #93 Sparkle!

A little paper, embossing powder, transparency, double sided adhesive, glitter, and alcohol markers... the result, a stunning stained glass card perfect for any occasion.

This fortnight challenge over at Creative Card Crew is Sparkle! What sparkles more than a beautiful stained glass window? When I saw this image from Sparkle N Sprinkle, I knew I had to figure out a way to make it into just that. 

I explain below how this I achieved this look.

#93 - Sparkle! - glitter or anything that sparkles 

Sponsored by


Prize: Up to $15 in digi's

I began by importing the digital image into my Silhouette Cameo Design Studio. I traced the outline to create the cut lines. I then copied this 4 times.

Using the Print and Cut feature on the Silhouette, I cut all 4 images. Even though the are very delicate, I had no problems at all. I just had to be patient when removing them.

Using my Zig Roller Ball Glue Pen, I carefully glued three if the die cut images together. I then coated this with Versamark ink and embossed it several times using black embossing powder. I wanted this to mimic the leading between the glass, so I made sure it was very thick.

I took a piece of clear transparency and added a piece of Aleen's Double sided adhesive to the transparency. After removing all protective sheets on the adhesive, I added the "enameled" die cut piece embossing side up. I covered the remaining adhesive with Martha Stewart's Superfine Crystal Glitter.

I used my Bic Marker to carefully color the glitter, using a stippling motion. I found if I colored in the regular fashion, the glitter tended to pull up and stick to the marker tip. 

To cover any clear areas I may have missed on the glitter side of the piece, I flipped it over and colored the back of the transparency sheet with each color.

Once the marker was dry, I turned the piece back over and filled each "glass" cavity with Glossy Accents. I figured this would take all night to dry, but I set it aside and by the time I had the rest of the card ready, it was dry.

I colored the back of the one remaining die cut black using my black Bic Marker and adhered it to the back side of the piece to give it a more finished look on.

I cut a 5 1/2 x 11 card base out of black. I folded it to make a 5 1/2 card. Using my Spellbinders dies, I cut a circle out of black card base and a piece of white 5 x 5 card base. I sandwiched the "stained" glass piece between these pieces using black foam squares.

The sentiment if from Simon Says Stamp's Flowers on My Mind stamp set. I embossed it using Versafine Onyx Black and Ala Mode Clear Glitter embossing powder. 

Using an MFT die set, I die cut all the layers, assembled them and popped this up on the card.

This card turned out much better than I envisioned. I love how it looks when the light shines through the back of the front panel. I love it so much, I may make a few of these using other thick lined images. These would also look very pretty hanging in a window with the sunlight shining through. 

I had a ton of fun making this card. I hope you join us for the Sparkle! challenge over at Creative Card Crew. If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I will answer this as best I can. 

*Not a process video, just a close-up share.*

Have a great day and happy crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment